December 18, 2011

My Take in Standard Solar Flare

Share:

Amidst the long absence in blogging and MTG due to a very tight schedule in my work in the recent weeks, I slowly tested and revised my Solar Flare deck. As much as I liked Vengeance and Snapcaster Mage combo, I needed to cut the Sorin's Vengeance to put cards against aggro decks.


I played in the FNM last week but I finished the day terribly as my deck didn't expect too much aggro in the meta. I moved some of my counterspells into the sideboard. And these are my other changes:

My deck techs:

To have deal with early threats, I tried to put Dead Weight. This card is a good card but not as effective as Disfigure. However, in a Sun Titan Solar Flare Deck, Dead Weight can be a good card that you can reanimate with Sun Titan in the mid-game.


My second tech is Gideon Jura. I tell you, Gideon is still a beast in a deck like Solar Flare. While Gideon's specialty is against aggro, Gideon can put a great deal of pressure against control decks too with it's ability to control the board or clearing your way into an alpha strike the next turn.


Third, I played Massacre Wurm over Elesh Norn. This is because Massacre Wurm comes into the battlefield 1 turn earlier that the preator and I find the "target opponent loses 2 life for every creature you control that dies" ability of the wurm very good since it can basically win you the game against token decks. And it makes your removal a little bit better.

Lastly, Manabase! The manabase for solar flare is quite a problem right now but thanks to an article I read in magicthegathering, that in every deck that you build, you gotta have an outlook of what you want to do, and what I wanted to do is to leave 2 mana open in 2nd turn for a possible think twice, doom blade, or mana leak. And that I can basically have a turn 4 Day of Judgement to wipe the board before I can start claiming the board. I did this by maximizing the Darkslick Shores but minimizing the Seachrome coasts while removing the Nephalia Drownyard and adding Plains and Isolated Chapels. After several playtesting, I am quite happy with my manabase right now.

So this is my final list:

Lands: (26)
4 Darkslick Shores
3 Drowned Catacomb
4 Glacial Fortress
1 Seachrome Coast
3 Isolated Chapel
2 Ghost Quarter
3 Swamp
3 Island
3 Plains

Creatures: (8)
3 Snapcaster Mage
2 Sun Titan
1 Massacre Wurm
1 Grave Titan
1 Wurmcoil Engine

Planeswalkers: (2)
1 Gideon jura
1 Karn Liberated

Other Spells: (24)
2 Dead Weight
3 Doom Blade
2 Oblivion Ring
3 Day of Judgement
4 Mana Leak
4 Forbidden Alchemy
3 Think Twice
2 Unburial Rites
1 White Sun's Zenith

Sidebaord: (15) (again, this depends on your meta)
1 Batterskull
2 Nihil Spellbomb
3 Timely Reinforcements
2 Divine Offering
2 Negate
2 Dissipate
2 Celestial Purge
1 Wurmcoil Engine

View my latest version of Solar Flare here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...