February 2, 2013

Esper Midrange - Post Gatecrash

Share:

Last fnm, I was able to finish 2nd (tied with 1st place) and finished the tourney with 3 wins and 1 draw - the draw coming from the 1st placer wherein the final round resulted to a draw. I used a Blue-White-Black midrange deck that featured some Gatecrash cards. I was able to pick Breeding pool and Lord of the Void as the prizes for draft and 2 booster packs.


Let's talk about the gatecrash cards that I used.

The obvious additions for fixing the manabase would be the Gatecrash dual lands - Watery Grave and Godless shrine. I run 10 slots for Hallowed Fountain, Watery Grave and Godless Shrine combined currently and I think that number will stay the same for the moment - unless I feel the need to run Obzedat Ghost Council in the future when the metagame makes me do so - but for now 10 RTR and gatecrash duals is enough for me. Along with M10 and Innistrad lands, I haven't had a difficult time fixing my mana the entire tournament.


Another card that I was happy about was Blind Obedience. This card was stronger that what I expected. I originally placed a copy of this to prevent UW Flash and UWr midrange decks to Flash-block my dudes with their Snapcaster Mages and Restoration Angels. However, in the late-game, extort makes a difference. Also, decks running tokens cannot block for 1 turn. This card along with Feeling of Dread can definitely clear the way for your Geist of Saint Traft for an early victory if left unanswered. Also rogue decks running Gilded Lotus and Keyrunes are also delayed by a turn. I am pretty happy with this card as it annoys the opponent in the first game and will make them realize that this card needs to be dealt with. However, sadly, I end up siding out Blind Obedience in almost all rounds to bring in sweepers or counterspells - but that may be a good thing since opponents will be boarding in cards to deal with Blind Obedience in game 2 - making their sideboard choices partly useless.


Removals: I think the additions for removals for Black has greatly helped this deck. The addition of Devour Flesh made other Geist decks easier to handle. This card is also good against bant auras deck since this is your early game out for Hexproof creatures such as Invisible Stalker and Geist of Saint Traft. The second addition is Dimir Charm. Although this charm was not highly praised in the advent of the release of Gatecrash - being overshadowed by Boros Charm, and even Orzhov and Simic charms, the creature removal part of this card makes you deal with spirit tokens (as response when equipped with Pike), Snapcaster Mage, Huntmaster of the Fells and even Silverblade Palladin, which I think is a very strong card in the format right now. Although rarely can you use the other mods of this charm - an option to counter a Bonfire of the Damned, Rakdos Return or fixing your next draw and putting more spells in your graveyard for Snapcaster Mage and Runechanter's Pike are good options to put on your sleeve.


For the final Decklist, this is what I ran yesterday.

 Lands:
4 Hallowed Fountain
4 Watery Grave
2 Godless Shrine
4 Isolated Chapel
4 Glacial Fortress
4 Drowned Catacomb
1 Moorland Haunt
1 Vault of the Archangel

Creatures:
4 Snapcaster Mage
4 Geist of Saint Traft
4 Restoration Angel

Others:
1 Runechanter's Pike
2 Blind Obedience
2 Dissipate
1 Rewind
2 Ultimate Price
2 Devour Flesh
2 Dimir Charm
3 Azorius Charm
2 Feeling of Dread
2 Sphinx's Revelation
2 Think Twice
2 Lingering Souls
1 Supreme Verdict

Sideboard:
2 Jace, Memory Adept
2 Supreme Verdict
1 Curse of Death's Hold
3 Negate
1 Sundering Growth
2 Purify the Grave
1 Dungeon Geist
1 Erase
1 Paraselene
1 Psychic Spiral

 That's it! Feel free to comment and if ever you try to use this deck, please share your experiences. Although I have played this game for 15 years already I am still a student of this game and I continuously talk and discuss with other people to properly evaluate my card choices and decisions in the game.


After the tournament, I grabbed a snack then relaxed a bit in a local coffee shop. I had some Cafe Mocha at Bo's Coffee Shop while reading Artifact's Cycle Book 1. I also had time to catch up with friends and my girlfriend. It was a great day and probably take a break from Magic today and watch the Jacky Chan's movie - Chinese Zodiac.

See you around. Thanks for droppin' by my blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...