September 15, 2011

Bryan Inno Wong's UB Control - FNM Performance

Share:

* I love the addition of Sorin's Vengeance in this deck. Although most of the time I side it out on games 2 and 3 of each round, most of the time this saves the game for we or wins the game in game 1. ***

Finding time for magic has been very challenging for me lately. And while I'm actually stressed at work and since it is already past my official working time, I just wanted to share my experience last FNM. Of course, every magic player probably knows about the changing of the rating system into the Planeswalker points. For one, I am happy since given my hectic schedule, I usually don't have sufficient time for playtesting my deck. Though I have been playing magic for more than 10 years already, constant playtesting is still one of the best ways to win a tournament. The planeswalker points system will probably make me join more tournaments since I will not have the fear of lowering my ratings for every loss since I have been pressuring myself to have at least a 3-1 standings (at least if only four rounds) just to maintain my ratings. And since National invitations and Grand Prix byes will not be based on ratings, but by points accumulated within the season, this may also not look good fr me since my schedule is very busy and chances are, I can't be present in the tournament sites every week.


Anyway, this entry is not about the planeswalker points but about my UB deck and here is my current list:

Lands:
4x Creeping Tarpit
4x Drowned Catacomb
4x Darkslick Shores
4x Tectonic Edge
5x Swamp
5x Island

Creatures:
2x Solemn Simulacrum
2x Wurmcoil Engine
2x Grave Titan

Instants:
4x Mana Leak
1x Consume the Meek
1x Into the Roil
3x Doom Blade
1x Dismember
1x Go for the Throat

Sorceries:
4x Inquisition of Kozilek
2x Despise
1x Black Sun's Zenith
4x Preordain
1x Sorin's Vengeance

Planeswalkers:
3x Jace Beleren
1x Liliana Vess
1x Karn Liberated

----- Sideboard:
2x Peace Strider
3x Flash freeze
2x Disfigure
2x Duress
1x Black Sun's Zenith
3x Torpor Orb
2x Memoricide

+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=

This list ended up with a standings of 3-1. Beating 2 UW Caw-blade/ UW control variants. This also won against a URG vengevine deck. Unfortunately, I lost in game 3 against a Red-Black Mimic Vat control deck. Torpor orb was very effective in holding off his creatures' abilities (Gatekeeper of Malakir, Lilian's specter, manic vandal, skin render.. etc).

When the ZEN block rotates out, this deck will miss out key cards but I do think that UB control can still flourish when the INS block will be released.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...